Saturday, May 22, 2010

'Strange as it may seem, I once had my football dreams..'

So, in the unlikely even that you haven't seen this yet, Nike's new viral ad for the upcoming World Cup is pretty remarkable:



And it's all the more cool for a soundtrack that includes 'Hocus Pocus' by the Dutch prog-rock band Focus, from the early 1970s, featuring their much under-rated guitar player, Jan Akkerman. It's a great track that, when you're eleven years old and see them performing it on the OGWT, sounds, honestly, like nothing you've ever seen before...



In any case, I can't wait for the World Cup to kick off in a couple of weeks. And it gives me a chance to play my absolute favorite football-related song:



(I'm just guessing, but it's possible the German host is saying something about losing on penalties..?)


*************************************

Pete Townshend celebrated his 65th birthday this week. When I was just getting into "serious" music, maybe the album that blew me away more than any other at the time was "Tommy". Here, Pete talks about the filming of the movie, which is coming up to its 35th anniversary.

The Who will always be among my favorite bands, and Pete will always be one of my favorite songwriters. A real visionary.




************************************************

I mentioned the other day about two gigs that Victor and David, were playing this weekend under the name Passport Without Nation. Turns out their Saturday night show has been cancelled, but they're still on for Sunday at the National Underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment