Friday, July 24, 2009

'Let Me Roll It'



So, Bowling Green. The name conjures up a peaceful, bucolic idyl of the village square; surrounded by meadow, perhaps chirping birds, lazy sunsets and warm beer. Straight out of a Colin Dexter novel, or the start of a Pink Floyd concept album before it all goes to hell in some freakish handbasket.

Alas, not today. I might as well have played in a bowling alley. It was too loud, too bright, too busy.

Too much ambient noise - the station is a stopping off point for the Staten Island Ferry terminal, so it's always crowded - and too narrow a platform area to be practical. I was also using the little Martin today, which I've discovered isn't really that good for noisy platforms.

Still, I managed about 50 minutes, and ended up with 26 cents in small change. Not much, sure, but I've played better, for longer, at more suitable locations, and got nothing, so I'm not knocking it.

Running total for these guys is now $65.26.

Today's Songlist:

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around - Tom Petty
I Know - Kim Richey
People Get Ready - Curtis Mayfield
The Boys Of Summer - Don Henley
Nothing But The Same Old Story - Paul Brady
Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
You're The World To Me - David Gray
These Days - Jackson Browne
We Shall Overcome - Bruce Springsteen (Seeger Sessions version)
Little Sister - Ry Cooder
Here Comes The Sun - Beatles
Lakes Of Pontchartrain - Paul Brady


(Interesting interpretation here on the song that prompted the title of today's post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment