Friday, July 10, 2009

'Don't think twice, it's alright..'



Ok, 42nd Street, I can take a hint.

You may be the biggest and busiest station on the MTA network, after all; but can't you find another way to let me know I'm not ready for prime time?

I managed four songs before I broke a string yesterday, and since I felt shortchanged, I wanted to go back today and make up for lost time. I guess I got one more song in before the string Gods decided that I just wasn't worthy of the stage. It was a B this time, not a D like yesterday. But it still throws you off.

I think it's partly that on the noisy platforms I naturally play a little heavier to be heard, but the humidity has also got to be a factor.

One woman said: "Too bad - that was sounding good," which was very nice, but I still ended up with no money in the case for today's efforts.

As I was leaving the station I bumped into a sax player called Leonard Love who plays undergound a couple of days a week. As it happened he was having some trouble with his reed; I told him about my strings and we sympathized with each other. "Just too hot, man" he said.

On the train home, the anonymous all-in-black cowboy guitarist got on, pulling his little amp in a wheelie bag. He spent two stations tuning up, leading the driver to announce: "Folks, please don't give to people playing on the train - it's illegal."

At least he has a new song. He usually plays "Heaven's Door" but now he has a very passable version of Tracy Chapman's "Baby Can I Hold You". I should learn that one, it sounded good.

42nd Street, you haven't seen the last of me...


Songlist:

The Promised Land - Bruce Springsteen
People Get Ready - Curtis Mayfield
Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
Bad Moon Rising - John Fogerty
Galway Girl - Steve Earle


*********************************



I spotted this sign the other day on 10th Street:



Turns out it is actually a chess club and not a society devoted to discussing this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment