Sunday, August 2, 2009

'Draw the shades, and light the fire..'



Mrs B had to fly to Chicago today, so after I dropped her at the airport I came back to the City and ended up at Grand Central, maybe the one location that says more about rail transportation than any other in New York. The Terminal building is undoubtedly beautiful, one of the most photographed stations in the world, inside and out.

But despite having the Transit museum (Annex) tucked away off the concourse, it's almost as if the Subway is an afterthought, the functional bastard child of the more luxurious and glamorous parents upstairs.

I came down to play on the 7 line, since the platforms are wider, but it's as noisy as you'd expect. I don't know how the teenage couple kissing passionately under the steps managed to block out the sound of the trains. I certainly couldn't. I played about a half hour before cutting my losses and getting the train down to Canal Street for a quick 45 minutes before heading home. No money in the case at either venue, but that's ok.

On the way downtown I ran into a couple of musicians on the train - travelling, not playing. Jazz players Steven Husted (bass) and Carras Paton (sax) were coming from a brunch gig in Brooklyn to a rehearsal in the city.

Today's songlists

Grand Central:

Leavin' On A Jet Plane - John Denver/Sister Hazel
Who'll Stop The Rain - John Fogerty
Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
If I Had A Boat - Lyle Lovett
People Get Ready/My City Of Ruins - Curtis Mayfield/Bruce Springsteen
Beast Of Burden - Rolling Stones

Canal St:

You're The World To Me - David Gray
Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
Roxanne - Sting
People Get Ready - Curtis Mayfield
Lakes Of Pontchartrain - Paul Brady
Tumblin' Dice - Rolling Stones
Rosalita - Bruce Springsteen
Waiting For My Real Life To Begin - Colin Hay
Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits


Finally, since there was another torrential downpour today - and Mrs B loves the sound of thunderstorms (hence the title of tonight's post) - take a look at this from Slovenia...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.I

    will be waiting for your next post.
    stripper costumes

    ReplyDelete