Monday, July 27, 2009

'I don't wanna be a poet, 'cause I don't wanna blow it..'



Nothing to do with a diminutive musical genius from Minneapolis, but here I am at Prince Street. I didn't even play any of his songs. Maybe that was what was wrong today; didn't get much of a reaction, and didn't end up with any money in the case. It was pretty much a nothing station to be honest.

Even the people depicted in 'Carrying On', the artwork by Janet Zweig along the platform sides look like they're totally worn down by the weight of the world.


















I played for about 45 minutes at Prince St, realized I was getting nowhere, then went one stop down the R line to Canal, where I played at my usual spot at the foot of the stairs for another hour and a quarter or so. Folks were nice as always, and there was a Chinese-language poster with a service change announcement on the wall near where I was, which meant more people stood in front of me more intently! I ended up with $1.28 on the afternoon, making the running total $66.54.

Later, I went looking for musicians at the 14th, 34th and 42nd Street MUNY spots, but there was no-one playing. I was told a while back that a lot of buskers who work weekends take Mondays off - like some of the Broadway shows - and I'm definitely finding Mondays are much lighter when it comes to musicians out and about.

Prince St set:

Shining Birmingham - Randall Bramlett
Mexico - James Taylor
One Safe Place - Marc Cohn
Here Comes The Sun - Beatles
Bad Moon Rising - John Fogerty
Waitin' On The World To Change - John Mayer
Tumblin' Dice - Rolling Stones
These Days - Jackson Browne
You're The World To Me - David Gray


Canal St set:

Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty
The Weight - The Band
The Promised Land - Bruce Springsteen
Lucky Town - Bruce Springsteen
Into The Mystic - Van Morrison
Rise - Eddie Vedder
Barricades Of Heaven - Jackson Browne
Desire - Ryan Adams
Little Sister - Ry Cooder
Rosalita - Bruce Springsteen
Peace Love And Understanding - Elvis Costello
Waiting For My Real Life To Begin - Colin Hay
People Get Ready - Curtis Mayfield
You're The World To Me - David Gray

Finally, here's a little Prince-related bonus... check out his solo towards the end of this George Harrison tribute at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2004. Great song, great performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment