Sunday, January 24, 2010

'Was it something I did in another life..?'

Today would have been Warren Zevon's 63rd birthday.

Wonderful voice, brilliantly witty songwriter and just an excellent musician and performer.

He's one of my absolute all-time inspirations and is sorely missed. I had the extreme good fortune to see him play at the Hammersmith Odeon in London in 1985 and I love his songs as much today as when I first heard them.

If you get a chance, check out the heartbreaking documentary VH1 did about the recording of his final album and how he kept going to complete it as his friends and collaborators rallied round. In the meantime, I'll let his music speak for itself.

Here's an acoustic 'Lawyers Guns And Money' from a BBC show 15 years ago:



Here's 'Johnny Strikes Up The Band' from the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ, 1982:



And here's his famous final TV appearance, recorded following his diagnosis, with a clearly emotional David Letterman.

Goodnight and thanks.







1 comment:

  1. One of the very few singer/songwriters whose output was as strong at 56 as at 26. Much missed.

    ReplyDelete